I have been down with the seasonal flu for the last couple of days. I decided that I would not take any modern medicine/antibiotics/anti-inflammatory and only use home remedies to cure my sore throat and cold and fever. I am happy to say that it is working wonders! While laying on my couch today, I was thinking of what to write and the answer for there, right before my eyes, literally 🙂 I had just finished drinking a hot/warm glass of turmeric milk and the empty glass in front of me gave me the topic for today.
I believe that nature provides the solutions to most of our needs and common ailments like flu, cold, cough definitely fall into that category of needs. Since my childhood days, I can remember my mum only giving us home remedies for a lot of common ailments. Some of them I use to this day and they have repeatedly worked wonders. I am sharing some of them with you today:
For sore throat and cold:
- Gargle with lukewarm salt water two times a day
- Sip on warm fluids all day long
- Rest your throat by not talking only when necessary
- Drink a concoction made from 1/2 cup milk and 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder. I never add sugar, but if you’re new to this and find the taste bitter, add a small amount of sugar to sweeten it.
- Rest/Sleep – this is very important for the body to do its healing work.
- Eat fruits, especially the citrus ones
- Extract about 1 Tbsp of juice from a ginger root, add 1 tsp of honey to it, mix it well and drink it.
- Nasal rinse (ancient Yoga technique called Jal Neti) to clear up the nasal passage and break the phlegm. A word of caution: If your nasal passage/throat is very inflamed, it may not be advisable to try this.
These home remedies have always worked for me. However each body is different and you are the best judge of your own body, so please use your wise judgment before trying any of the above mentioned remedies.
If you also have some home remedies to share, I’d love to hear them. Please do share them here through the comments.
Thanks for reading and have a great day.