Yesterday while I was grocery shopping I felt like making pasta. I haven’t had pasta in a while so I bought basil and tomatoes – the only ingredients that were missing from the list for a recipe I had in mind.
Perhaps a lot of us do this but here’s an important tip: –>NEVER GROCERY SHOP WHEN HUNGRY! <– I ended up buying some yummy snacks and of course as soon as I come home and empty out my groceries, I plant myself on the couch and snack on those mostly healthy goodies and so out the window went my dinner plan with my appetite. Oh well!
Still craving pasta I decided to make it today (Monday night dinner). For those of you who may not already know I am vegan so for me every day is a Meatless Monday! I can’t tell you how much healthier and stronger I have been since I went vegan. Not only did I shed pounds and body fat, I also have more energy to get more things done in a day in addition to saving many many animal lives and saving our environment
Before I start cooking, I usually lay out all the ingredients in front of me. As I opened the fridge to get some of the ingredients I saw I had a zucchini in the crisper drawer. In the spirit of eating healthier and wasting less food I decided to make zucchini pasta instead of using actual pasta. I had initially planned on making angel hair pasta – simple yet bursting with taste, my slight tweak? Replaced organic whole wheat angel hair pasta with fresh zucchini pasta. If I may say so myself not only did it turn out great, it was so delicious, filling and tasty that I finished everything I made 🙂 and I do not feel too full or like I over ate. Here’s the recipe for those who’d like to try it out:
Serves 2, Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes or less
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 Lb tomatoes finely chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced (you can add as much or as little as per your preference)
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced (adjust as per your preference)
- 1 Tbsp of italian dried herbs (oregano, thyme, etc..)
- A pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- Roughly 1/4 cup of chopped basil (Set aside a couple of leave for garnish)
- Lemon zest (as per your liking)
- Cracked blacked pepper (as per your liking)
- Using a spiralizer (doesn’t have to be fancy, I have a very basic $5 one), spiralize the zucchini into noodles (of course you always use good ol’ pasta too :)) and set aside
- Pour the olive oil in a pan and set it to very low heat
- Add garlic and onion and cook for a minute or two, stir to prevent it from sticking to the pan
- Next add the dried herbs and chili flakes and cook until garlic starts turning golden brown.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook a little more. Cook it longer if you’d like it to be more saucy or for a few minutes until it’s softened enough
- Lastly add the chopped basil, lemon zest, salt to taste and cracked black pepper
- Give it another minute or two before turning off the flame.
- Toss the zucchini into the bowl using salad tongs such that the noodles are covered with the goodness of the tomato-basil sauce (or you could eat like shown in the photo)
- Season with more black pepper and lemon zest if you’d like
- Eat to your heart’s content (^_^)